There are many ways to support the Mathematics department. Financial contributions are most welcome, but we also appreciate our alumni who give their time to speak to our current students and new graduates by providing advice about careers in specific areas. Be sure to update your Alumni Profile!
We would love your support
Your contributions to the Mathematics Department make a real difference for our students and faculty. Your gifts help to keep alive the vibrant academic atmosphere that our students find so attractive. We rely on the support of alumni, parents, and friends of the department to continue our quest for excellence
Giving Online to our Funds
- Mathematics Department Fund - The general Mathematics Department Fund provides support for a multitude of activities in the department: e.g. Faculty and Graduate Student Recruitment, The Mathematics Major Fair, Colloquia, Conferences, and Seminars.
- The Theodore Shifrin Math Club Support Fund is named in honor of Prof. Theodore Shifrin who strongly supported our undergraduate program from his arrival at UGA in 1981 until his retirement in 2015. This fund supports the activities of the Math Club.
- The James C. Cantrell Fund is named in honor of Prof. James Cantrell, longtime colleague (1962-1993) and department head (1974-1983). This fund endows a Distinguished Lecture Series each spring.
- The B.J. Ball Fund is named in honor of Prof. B.J. Ball, longtime colleague (1959-1986) and department head (1963 -1969). This fund endows graduate student scholarships. Past winners are listed here.
- The William Armor Wills Memorial Scholarship is funded through an endowment by Mrs. Josephine Hubbard Wills to honor her late husband William Armor Wills who received his Master’s degree in Mathematics at the University of Georgia in 1944. This fund also endows a graduate student scholarship. Past winners are listed here.
- The J. G. Hollingsworth Undergraduate Scholarship Fund is named in honor of Prof. John Hollingsworth, longtime colleague (1967-2000), department head (1992-1995), and a model of commitment to undergraduate teaching. This fund endows scholarships for undergraduate mathematics majors. Past winners are listed here.
- The Charles M. Strahan Award is named in honor of Dr. Charles M. Strahan, Professor of Civil Engineering and Mathematics, who taught an amazing 62 years at UGA between 1883 and 1945. This fund endows an award to an outstanding Junior student majoring in Mathematics. Past winners are listed here.
- The M.K. Fort Jr. and Gerald B. Huff Endowment Fund is named in honor of Professor M.K. Fort, who was a member of the department from 1953 to 1964, and Professor Gerald B. Huff, who was a member of the department from 1946 to 1976. This fund gives small travel grants to graduate students to attend professional meetings.
- The David Galewski Endowment Fund is named in honor of Dr. David Galewski, a faculty member from 1970 to 2007. This fund endows the department's David Galewski Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, given each spring to a graduate student with an outstanding teaching record.
- The Richard G. Neal, Jr. Graduate Support Fund is named in memory of Richard G. Neal who graduated from UGA with a degree in Mathematics in 1965. The earnings from this fund are used to support the graduate program, providing, for instance, travel grants or recruitment bonuses for new graduate students.
Beyond these established funds, you might consider establishing new scholarship funds, lecture series, or endowed professorships. Feel free to contact us for exploring these opportunities.
Giving by Mail to our Funds
If you wish to make a gift by check, make your check payable to: UGA Foundation.
Mail your gift to:
One Press Place
Athens, GA 30604
Be sure to include the fund name on the memo line.